Skip to main content

What we can learn from birds

As I was walking to town, I noticed a black cormorant sitting on a pole that was used to fasten one of the local paddle steamer’s mooring lines. I had not planned to write anything on that particular day – apart from the things I get paid for. However, looking at the bird that usually never sits on that pole made me think about different aspects of life and I decided to sit down at the river side, simply watching the birds. I am often watching birds and we can learn so much from them. All we need to do is spend a little time with them – with an open mind, open eyes and open ears.
So what can we learn from birds? These are just some of the observations I made in half an hour at the riverside.

Mindfulness and living in the moment:
The cormorant had no other worry than to have a little rest – but he was resting in a very mindful way and took everything in that was happening around him. There is most likely nothing that escaped his attention. Yet, he did not worry about what would happen next, about where he would fly next – there was no frown on his face, his eyes were full of intelligence and a certain kind of wisdom. Birds follow their instincts – and their instincts always tell them to rest, but not to let their guard down during that time.

Courage:
While I was sitting close to the riverside, I noticed a sparrow being follow by a duck that was at least ten times the sparrow’s size. The sparrow had a piece of bread and would not want to give it up to the bigger duck. The sparrow would have no chance against the duck in a full-on fight, yet he took on the challenge and used his strengths (agility and speed) to outwit the duck by using the paddle steamer as an unknowing assistant. This should teach us that just because someone is bigger, stronger, wealthier or prettier than us it does not mean that we automatically have to give up. If we stand up and believe in our skills, we can overcome the people (or ducks) in our way.

Being faithful:
A couple of black-backed seagulls was flying across the river. Black-backed seagulls mate for life. Once they have a partner, they stick to it. You could say that they believe in true love and overcoming obstacles that stand in their way. If seagulls can stick to one partner, why is it so hard for humans?

Believing in yourself and constantly practising:
There were black birds in the trees around me and they were singing their songs. They were singing their song and they did not mind that others were listening. They did not care about what others would think even though some of their notes were kind of off the mark. Making mistakes every now and then and not sounding perfect all the time does not deter them. It does not do anything bad to their confidence. They believe in their voice, they enjoy singing, they simply do it again and again. And I don’t think that one black bird would bully the other black bird about not singing perfectly.

Tolerance:
While I was at the riverside, there was that black cormorant, many sparrows, a few black birds, some seagulls (black-backed ones and red-beaked ones), ducks, feral pigeons and I heard some Tui singing in the distance. Sometimes you also get Kereru at the riverside, and fantails and Kingfishers. On some days, there are dozens of birds from different “races” sharing the riverside. And you would not hear the Tui tell the Seagull “Hey, you can’t be here. That’s MY river.” The seagull might often complain a lot when a duck or sparrow steals some bread from them, but they would never tell them that they do not have the right to share the same space at the river with them. In the world of birds, there is no “this is my land, you have no right to be here” (of course some birds are very territorial but that’s usually just among males from the SAME species). Imagine putting the same amount of people together, and they were all from races that were very different from each other. Would that be as harmonic as the life of birds at the side of the river? There is no racism among birds, they can all live together, sharing the same space.

Using what is there, going with the flow:
Birds use the wind and the flow of the river to get where they would like to be. They live within in nature and are part of it. They are in harmony with their surroundings and use them without polluting them.

Accepting that we don’t know everything / learning to not judge too quickly:
Many birds go with the flow, but what do you think when you watch that one duck that is paddling against the stream? Maybe you think that the duck is silly because it has wings and simply could use the wings to get where it would like to be. But couldn’t it be that the duck has a wing that hurts and can only fly with very strong pain? This is one example that shows that we often do not know the reasons for something by simply observing. We do not always have enough information about something or someone. But humans are quick to make a judgment (have a look at my other blog entry about how we judge people).

Being good parents:
Birds always teach their young how to fly. Bird parents would not hold their young back and prevent them from becoming a part of the wonderful world around them. And you would most likely never find a bird who tells another bird off for having a dream, telling the young bird that the dream can never come true.

Of course, these are not all the lessons you can learn from birds – but for today, those were the things I observed. Some more lessons might follow soon. Did you ever learn anything from birds? If yes, what was it and how did it happen?

Comments

  1. Hi Kim, a very well written article and observations and commentary of human life and behaviour.

    I'm looking forwards to breeding of the migratory seabirds over at Miranda.

    Keep blogging about nature, I like it!!

    fergie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about your post, symbiotic relationships came to my mind. As that Egyptian plover picking meat from the mouth of the crocodile, or just simply birds pecking insects from trees. It seems to me, this is the way between introverts and extroverts, or at least this is the way it should be, as life was probably designed. We are not supposed to live alone, and I do not necessarily mean marriage, but friendships, and collaboration at work too. Extroverts know and can do things introverts can not, and vica versa. We have to find our pairs, and work together. I think there are not many possibilities, but there are always one or two people around us on whom we can rely. I'm a quite extreme introvert and my learned introversion is even stronger than my natural one. I could not survive without extroverts. My wife is an extrovert and we have a kind of complementarity, and I also have these kind of relationships at my worplaces and in my friendships too. Not with many people, only very few. I think we have to learn to recognise these people, and recognise the way these relationships should work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you are talking about when it comes to natural and learned introversion. I was always introverted, but when I was a kid, my family taught me to become virtually invisible, and I guess this might be one of the reasons why it is so easy for people today to forget that I am there.
      It is great that you get along so well with your extrovert wife. I can see how in many ways this can be quite beneficial - but also challenging in some ways. I would not be able to speak from my own experience here.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kenny Wizz vs Navi vs Ben - Can there be only one #1 Michael Jackson tribute artist?

Last night, I have been to a place called Stevenage to watch a Michael Jackson tribute artist called Ben . He was one of only two UK tribute artists I found interesting and promising enough to spend money on a ticket, transport, and accommodation (it's too difficult to travel back home with public transport at night). Now that I have seen three different Michael Jackson tribute artists in person, I would like to write about what they have in common, what made each of them stand out, and then answer the question: Is there really a number one? Did one of the two UK tributes manage to do something Kenny did not do? If you have read my old writings about Kenny, you know that he's very special (at least to me). I will have a look at their looks, their energy during the performance, the song selection, the costumes, the singing (or lack of it), the moves, the band & the dancers, the overall feel of the concert, and the meet & greet after the shows. In

Seeking and finding motivation - It needs to come from within

I have known for a long time that motivation is something that needs to come from within yourself. At least genuine motivation needs to come from within your own soul - it is the only kind of motivation that will last. Even though I have known this, I found (and still find) it very hard to keep myself motivated, to keep the spark within alive, to not let the world and the people in it kill my dreams. As a writer, I also read a lot. Most books are dedicated to other people, or have some sort of acknowledgment page where authors thank people who support them, people who keep them going, people who motivate them, and so on. For a very long time, I have wished I would have people I could use for these pages. I was wondering whom I would dedicate my books to, whom I would thank. But I could only ever think of fictional and/or famous characters. In real life, there is nobody who supports me with my writing and shows a genuine interest in my ideas or progress (of which there isn't that

Why work harder when there's no reward at all?

I am rather demotivated at the moment. Why work harder than other people if other people in the end get more for less work? Two volunteers who work a lot less than I do (also as a volunteer) get taken to see a castle this weekend, while I have to work. One of those two is being taken to the second castle. He's been taken on a day trip before. While I have been here since November and haven't been taken anywhere once. Usually, volunteers work five hours a day. But because I am really committed to the animals, I usually work six hours, often seven or eight (as a volunteer, so it's not like I get any money for extra hours). So I work more, but get less in return. How is that fair? It's just my life. I often put in so much effort into things, but get nothing in return. I feel like giving up. Why be reliable and hard working if it's just taken for granted? Why put in more effort when people who slack get all the rewards and extra attention?