Skip to main content

Why I love/ adore/ admire Lucy Lawless

Xena's smile in the intro of the series
It's time that I explain my love for Lucy Lawless a little. Facebook suddenly started flooding me with ads for gay and lesbian dating - tells you a lot about what FB is reading into the things you post on your timeline. I find it quite amusing and my friends also know the joke: If Lucy Lawless ever came my way, left her husband and decided that she wanted to have me at her side, I would not even think about saying "no"! ;) I think, I just have quite a healthy admiration for someone who helped me to discover a lot about myself. Nothing wrong with that - and with some jokes!

So when did this all start?

The Warrior Princess
It started many years ago, when I first saw the TV show Xena. It was screened every Saturday or Sunday afternoon (I don't really remember which day it was). When I was a teenager, Xena turned into one of my favourite shows, however, it was only when I re-watched the whole series on DVDs a few years later (in the English original this time) that I came to fully appreciate the stories of the series - and the beauty of the main character.

I could write a whole blog about Xena alone but I will keep it short: I have heard many people say that Xena is nothing more but a fantasy show about an attractive woman who kicks ass. Those people most likely never saw all six seasons nor did they understand the mythology and background of behind the characters. For me and many others, Xena is a role-model because she teaches people how to move on after tragedy strikes. She shows how someone with a dark past can still find a way to become a good person. And she shows us that there always is hope.



True beauty
So, that was Xena - but what about Lucy Lawless? After all, she is "just" an actress and has only said the lines that were written for her, right? Well, kind of. Of course, Lucy Lawless is a lot more than just Xena and  she has never been as dark a character in real life, however, she also sends out the same message. And she is a damn fine woman unless she lies in all of her interviews. Of course, it's not easy to get an accurate picture of someone you have never met in your life - but what I have learned, seen and read about Lucy and her life made me believe that she has a very good character - and part of her is very Xena-like.

Not only does she care a lot about our planet, she also cares a lot about people who aren't as well off as she is (i.e. supporting charities and the Starship Hospital). She has done quite a few good things and some of them I only learned about because they were mentioned in a short sentence in an article. She's doing much good work behind the scenes and doesn't need to get public attention all the time.



Lucy on stage

One thing I only learned about three or four years ago is that Lucy also is a quite talented singer. I knew that she had been singing her parts in the musical episodes of Xena and loved her voice there - but I had no idea that she also did some singing outside Xena and even went on her own little tour. How nice it would be to see a Lucy Lawless concert live one day - or to just see her in person at all (after Michael Jackson has died, she turned into the number 1 person of people I would like to meet).

Of course, Lucy Lawless is also a very beautiful woman and I think much of her beauty shines from within her. I don't think that I could resist her smile even on my grumpiest days. Yes, I'm a woman - but there's nothing wrong with acknowledging the beauty of another woman. And some of the photos of Lucy are just so beautiful that I could indeed just kiss my computer screen!




A few months ago, I had made a little tribute video to Lucy - it's not a professional video because before that video I had only made one other video and I don't have any fancy video programs. But here it is, at least I can say that I had put my heart into it (yes, I'm such a nerd, I know and I don't care - everybody needs a passion and this one is quite healthy - I don't need drugs or alcohol to get on a Lawless high)!


So in short - I LOVE Lucy Lawless because:

  • she embodied my one of my favourite TV characters
  • she is a damn fine actress (because of her I discovered other movies and TV series)
  • she sends out the right messages
  • she is very, very beautiful (and quite hot as well)
  • she is who she is
  • and her smile can often get me out of a bad mood

Sooner or later I'll probably also have to explain why Ian McKellen means so much to me....


If you would like to see a Xena movie someday, then please support the Xena movie campaign!
http://www.xenamoviecampaign.com

Comments

  1. Lucy Lawless will have a concert in Auckland this month - so YAY, I finally get the chance to see her live! This is a dream coming true, and sooner than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. I had watch a few episode of Xena as a kid. Not until recently find it again on Netflix. I plan on watching all of them. I love Lucy Lawless too. I totally agree with what you posted. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kenny Wizz vs Navi vs Ben - Can there be only one #1 Michael Jackson tribute artist?

Last night, I have been to a place called Stevenage to watch a Michael Jackson tribute artist called Ben . He was one of only two UK tribute artists I found interesting and promising enough to spend money on a ticket, transport, and accommodation (it's too difficult to travel back home with public transport at night). Now that I have seen three different Michael Jackson tribute artists in person, I would like to write about what they have in common, what made each of them stand out, and then answer the question: Is there really a number one? Did one of the two UK tributes manage to do something Kenny did not do? If you have read my old writings about Kenny, you know that he's very special (at least to me). I will have a look at their looks, their energy during the performance, the song selection, the costumes, the singing (or lack of it), the moves, the band & the dancers, the overall feel of the concert, and the meet & greet after the shows. In

Seeking and finding motivation - It needs to come from within

I have known for a long time that motivation is something that needs to come from within yourself. At least genuine motivation needs to come from within your own soul - it is the only kind of motivation that will last. Even though I have known this, I found (and still find) it very hard to keep myself motivated, to keep the spark within alive, to not let the world and the people in it kill my dreams. As a writer, I also read a lot. Most books are dedicated to other people, or have some sort of acknowledgment page where authors thank people who support them, people who keep them going, people who motivate them, and so on. For a very long time, I have wished I would have people I could use for these pages. I was wondering whom I would dedicate my books to, whom I would thank. But I could only ever think of fictional and/or famous characters. In real life, there is nobody who supports me with my writing and shows a genuine interest in my ideas or progress (of which there isn't that

Why work harder when there's no reward at all?

I am rather demotivated at the moment. Why work harder than other people if other people in the end get more for less work? Two volunteers who work a lot less than I do (also as a volunteer) get taken to see a castle this weekend, while I have to work. One of those two is being taken to the second castle. He's been taken on a day trip before. While I have been here since November and haven't been taken anywhere once. Usually, volunteers work five hours a day. But because I am really committed to the animals, I usually work six hours, often seven or eight (as a volunteer, so it's not like I get any money for extra hours). So I work more, but get less in return. How is that fair? It's just my life. I often put in so much effort into things, but get nothing in return. I feel like giving up. Why be reliable and hard working if it's just taken for granted? Why put in more effort when people who slack get all the rewards and extra attention?