Skip to main content

The move

After I have been so active during the last few weeks, you might be a little surprised to not get as many updates. As you have learned in the last posts, I was getting ready to move to somewhere else. The day of the move was only two days ago - yet it feels like a long time ago or maybe I'm in some kind of "shock-mode" that doesn't yet let me realize that I've really left "my" river. Yes, I can see a river from the house I live in now - but I hardly know anything about the Waikato river (and am not yet motivated to learn about its mythology etc.) and never touched its waters (even though I've been close enough to it a few times). This morning I told the two girls who live in the house here (10 and 12 years old) a bit about my canoeing trip on the Whanganui river - so at least I am able to talk about the river without having a nervous breakdown....

I really can't believe that yesterday only was my first full day here (of this stay). It's all a little unreal. In just one day, I learned a lot more about pigeons (and probably forgot half of it), played a game with two kids (and lost), wrote articles, learned a lot about humans as well, saw some Rosellas, Kereru, heard a Pukeko and tried to re-befriend the little trouble chicken (Frodo). He/She came closer than the night before but still is a little suspicious.

The people who are also connected to me on Facebook will know about the problematic pigeon - and she is now named Lucy. Let's just hope she doesn't have the same fate as Xena. Didn't want to call her Xena because that just doesn't sound very pigeon-like. Now I'll just have to find a pigeon that would be worthy of the name Gandalf!

I will - sooner or later - write some more blog entries. I know that you're all waiting for the seagulls and can't bear to wait any longer (esp. my friend Marie)! But it takes me forever to go through the thousands of photos and select the best (and yes, when I say thousands, I'm not exaggerating).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kenny Wizz vs Navi vs Ben - Can there be only one #1 Michael Jackson tribute artist?

Last night, I have been to a place called Stevenage to watch a Michael Jackson tribute artist called Ben . He was one of only two UK tribute artists I found interesting and promising enough to spend money on a ticket, transport, and accommodation (it's too difficult to travel back home with public transport at night). Now that I have seen three different Michael Jackson tribute artists in person, I would like to write about what they have in common, what made each of them stand out, and then answer the question: Is there really a number one? Did one of the two UK tributes manage to do something Kenny did not do? If you have read my old writings about Kenny, you know that he's very special (at least to me). I will have a look at their looks, their energy during the performance, the song selection, the costumes, the singing (or lack of it), the moves, the band & the dancers, the overall feel of the concert, and the meet & greet after the shows. In

Why I love/ adore/ admire Lucy Lawless

Xena's smile in the intro of the series It's time that I explain my love for Lucy Lawless a little. Facebook suddenly started flooding me with ads for gay and lesbian dating - tells you a lot about what FB is reading into the things you post on your timeline. I find it quite amusing and my friends also know the joke: If Lucy Lawless ever came my way, left her husband and decided that she wanted to have me at her side, I would not even think about saying "no"! ;) I think, I just have quite a healthy admiration for someone who helped me to discover a lot about myself. Nothing wrong with that - and with some jokes! So when did this all start? The Warrior Princess It started many years ago, when I first saw the TV show Xena. It was screened every Saturday or Sunday afternoon (I don't really remember which day it was). When I was a teenager, Xena turned into one of my favourite shows, however, it was only when I re-watched the whole series on DVDs a few y

The Hobbit – thoughts about wizards, elves, dwarves and a Hobbit

My Hobbit holiday After following the progress of the making of the movie (by watching the production videos, reading interviews and articles), I was very eager to finally be able to watch the movie. I had planned a little holiday just for this purpose (and I needed time off anyway). I went to Auckland for three nights and had planned to watch the Hobbit at least twice: once in normal 3D and once in HFR 3D – to see the difference. A lot has been written about the content of the movies. Critics were quite critical and wrote lukewarm reviews. Of which I didn't really read any, because what do I care? I wanted to see Ian McKellen as Gandalf again and nothing a critic would write would have been able to stop me. I was looking forward to the experience and I have to say that I was not disappointed. I ended up watching the movie three times, twice in HFR and once in normal 3D on an IMAX screen. Normal 3D vs. HFR 3D So, did I notice a difference between the two for