Skip to main content

Lucy Lawless and a series of dreams (that went on for a few years)



When I still lived in New Zealand, and also during my first year in the UK, I often dreamed dreams that included Lucy Lawless. Not Xena, but the actress herself. Last night, I had a dream that surprised me because I thought my years of dreams about Lucy Lawless were over because the last dream I had about her felt like the end of a series. The dreams were telling me a lot about my life, especially now that I am looking back at them. It once more makes me wonder whether our dreams are more than just random images and stories that come to us at night. 

In the beginning: Lucy Lawless as an unapproachable, distant star



My dreams in the beginning were usually set during conventions or shows, e.g. concerts during which Lucy was the singer. I was always only part of the audience, and as much as I wanted to talk to Lucy, and ask her questions about life, I never had the chance to get anywhere close to her. I was simply a powerless spectator who wanted something she could not get. Lucy was the star, I was one of many nobodies. And amongst those many other people, I still stood out as the weird one - because I did not scream and yell, and I was on my own every single time. I was the quiet introvert in the crowd, and within the dream I simply had the dream to talk to Lucy.
Of course, it was also a real life dream of mine to one day be able to have a conversation with Lucy Lawless. Not about her career, not about Xena - but about life, because for some reason I always believed she had the answers I needed.

The middle: Lucy Lawless as a not so distant star



As life moved on, and some small things changed, my dreams also changed. Mind, none of the dreams with Lucy ever was the same. The locations were always different, so were the circumstances.
After a while, the crowds were smaller, and I had the chance to get a bit closer to Lucy. Yet, there was not a conversation - but it was a small change. I was no longer a powerless spectator. I could move around, and even be within the areas in which Lucy moved around. 
The last dream of the middle stage saw me as a security person who was standing in front of the stage while Lucy was performing. 

The third stage: Small conversations with Lucy


During the third stage, which I for months considered the final stage of those dreams, I at last got close enough to have short interactions with Lucy. I saw this as a sign that I was getting closer to being a bit like her, achieving more in my life, being more confident, believing in myself more. Lucy (or in the beginning Xena) was always such a huge role model in my life (since I was a teenager, i.e. for almost 20 years!), but I often felt like I could never get anywhere close to what she is like. In the dreams I moved from being the powerful person in the audience to someone who could communicate with the person who once was such a distant star.


A new stage of dreams?


Last night, or rather in the early morning hours, I had a dream with Lucy. I can remember even the smallest details of that dream. I will not write the full dream down here, it would take too much space. The dream, however, showed me a totally different level of interaction with Lucy.
I was in the same house with her and the guy who plays Joxer (really? Why?). After a problem, I asked Lucy whether she had just a minute of time for me. She gave me more than a minute, and we went to my room to be away from others. No, nothing gay happened - as I am not gay (unusual for a Xena fan, ey?). It was a good conversation, and after helping me with something, she told me about some of her problems - which was unusual because so far I never thought I could help her in any way. But in this dream, we both were there for each other, helping each other. I wonder whether there will be more dreams like this.....

Dream vs. reality

I wonder whether the dream Lucy might be some sort of spiritual guide, unrelated to the real Lucy. After all, I truly only ever saw Lucy Lawless as part of an audience (twice!)- and now that I am close to London, and not in New Zealand any more, I most likely will never have the chance to talk to Lucy Lawless. How would that happen anyway? There are millions of people who would like to talk to her - and some most likely even deserve it more. I am not that good of a fan to be honest. I don't keep track of everything she does. I don't have posters of her hanging in my room. I haven't even seen all the series and movies she's in (I only watch what I really find interesting genre-wise).
So my dreams will most likely be the only chance for me to talk to my role model - and without knowing, Lucy helped me to continue becoming a better person. I feel I am quite lucky to have her turning up in my dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kenny Wizz vs Navi vs Ben - Can there be only one #1 Michael Jackson tribute artist?

Last night, I have been to a place called Stevenage to watch a Michael Jackson tribute artist called Ben . He was one of only two UK tribute artists I found interesting and promising enough to spend money on a ticket, transport, and accommodation (it's too difficult to travel back home with public transport at night). Now that I have seen three different Michael Jackson tribute artists in person, I would like to write about what they have in common, what made each of them stand out, and then answer the question: Is there really a number one? Did one of the two UK tributes manage to do something Kenny did not do? If you have read my old writings about Kenny, you know that he's very special (at least to me). I will have a look at their looks, their energy during the performance, the song selection, the costumes, the singing (or lack of it), the moves, the band & the dancers, the overall feel of the concert, and the meet & greet after the shows. In

Seeking and finding motivation - It needs to come from within

I have known for a long time that motivation is something that needs to come from within yourself. At least genuine motivation needs to come from within your own soul - it is the only kind of motivation that will last. Even though I have known this, I found (and still find) it very hard to keep myself motivated, to keep the spark within alive, to not let the world and the people in it kill my dreams. As a writer, I also read a lot. Most books are dedicated to other people, or have some sort of acknowledgment page where authors thank people who support them, people who keep them going, people who motivate them, and so on. For a very long time, I have wished I would have people I could use for these pages. I was wondering whom I would dedicate my books to, whom I would thank. But I could only ever think of fictional and/or famous characters. In real life, there is nobody who supports me with my writing and shows a genuine interest in my ideas or progress (of which there isn't that

Why work harder when there's no reward at all?

I am rather demotivated at the moment. Why work harder than other people if other people in the end get more for less work? Two volunteers who work a lot less than I do (also as a volunteer) get taken to see a castle this weekend, while I have to work. One of those two is being taken to the second castle. He's been taken on a day trip before. While I have been here since November and haven't been taken anywhere once. Usually, volunteers work five hours a day. But because I am really committed to the animals, I usually work six hours, often seven or eight (as a volunteer, so it's not like I get any money for extra hours). So I work more, but get less in return. How is that fair? It's just my life. I often put in so much effort into things, but get nothing in return. I feel like giving up. Why be reliable and hard working if it's just taken for granted? Why put in more effort when people who slack get all the rewards and extra attention?