Skip to main content

My connection to animals

One thing people usually learn about me quite early is that they should never underestimate my love for animals (especially birds). Though I have learned to keep my enthusiasm in check most of the time, and usually only show my true love for animals when I am around people I feel comfortable with (if I ever tell you the whole story of Frodo, then it means I trust you!). I'm the kind of person you'll find in the kids' zone in a zoo, petting a goat, and being happy like a child (note: I usually prefer other settings than zoos though - and some zoos deserve to be shut down, but that's a topic for a different blog). I'm the kind of person who goes out of her way to help animals in need, and also the kind of person who often prefers the company of animals to the company of people. Let me explain why that is so.
My lovely rooster Frodo, who died a few weeks ago in New Zealand. And I am in England. I wish I could have been there for him during his last days.
My lovely rooster Frodo, who died last year in New Zealand. And I am in England. I wish I could have been there for him during his last days.
Animals make good friends and good companions. I know there are people out there who believe animals have no souls, no feelings, no intelligence - but I definitely do believe that animals are intelligent, and do have feelings. Though I have my doubts about cats sometimes....
Of course, communicating with animals is not as easy as talking to people who speak the same language. But when you look at human communications, you need to ask yourself: Is it really that easy, and that straight forward? To me, it is not. I often leave words unspoken, avoid certain topics, and often wish that people would be easier to deal with. When it comes to people, I often worry that my words will be misunderstood, too much or too little read into them. And when you are friendly to someone, they often suspect that you are being friendly because you have a hidden agenda, or would like to get something from them. But to me, when I thank someone, when I tell someone something positive, I usually just do so because I honestly mean it. When I like people, I would love to be able to tell them, just because I want them to know - not because I expect anything from them. There are people out there to whom I would like to say so much more, but I don't - because these days it is so easy to be misunderstood. And once you have to start explaining, even defending, why you say something nice, the words lose their value a little, don't they? I have made horrible experiences with people after saying something honest and nice (and no, not talking about declarations of love here!), but I've never had such an experience after saying something nice to an animal.
You can be nice to animals, you can tell them you care - and they will not take it the wrong way. You can show your love to them, and they will not hate you for it. Of course, animals can be quite "rude", and not care much about what you feel or say - but at least you know that a rooster, for example, might be a snob one day, but the loveliest darling the other day. This was the case with my dear Frodo. Most of the time, I could just pick him up, or sit next to him, and he would hang around. He was a good chap. But he also had some days where he just gave me a dirty look and walked away. He died a few weeks ago, and I'm quite sad about it, he was a good friend, a very fine rooster.
Other animals (dogs, cats, even goats!) also have that one great advantage that you can hang out with them without having to be someone you're not. You don't need to impress them. They either like you or they don't. Simple as that. Fortunately, animals usually tend to like me (especially goats for some reason, they are such cuddly, lovely animals!). I like the company of animals. You can sit down on a couch, or next to a tree, and the animals will either join you or they won't. If they join you, they simply are with you, no hidden motivations (well, unless it's a cat).
That look says it all....
That look says it all....
I know there are plenty of people out there who get along with other people well enough - and maybe I'm just not a very likeable person, who knows. To me it is simply a truth that I usually get along better with animals than with people. They don't care about where you were born, what colour your skin is, what kind of accent you speak, what your qualifications are, how much money you earn, what you wear, or what your religion is. Don't get me wrong: animals can be quite judgemental, but at least they are not judgemental in the same way as people.

Comments

  1. Agreed. That's what I love about animals, that they don't judge you the same way as people do. Dogs are completely loyal and adore their masters, but in some ways I prefer cats because, even though most of mine aren't very friendly, when they come up to you of their own free will and sit next to you, or allow you to pet them, you know they genuinely want to be with you.

    With chickens, it's slightly different, in my view. I think a lot of my affection for them is due to the fact that they're so misjudged as a species, seen by most people are little more than a meal. These beautiful creatures are so much more. They have their own culture, their own personalities, their own little quirks. They're fun to watch, and can be very affectionate. My little Serama hen, Pequeña (I recently had to find her a new home, unfortunately), used to lie on my chest at night, bundled up in her blanket, with her neck stretched out so she could have her face next to mine. She would literally purr when she was relaxed and contented, like a cat. I am not an overly "feel"-y person, and have trouble showing physical affection with other humans, but the same doesn't extend to animals, and for that reason, I'm able to have that need met in some fashion.

    So, yes, I completely understand getting along better with animals than people. :) Thanks for another great post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kenny Wizz vs Navi vs Ben - Can there be only one #1 Michael Jackson tribute artist?

Last night, I have been to a place called Stevenage to watch a Michael Jackson tribute artist called Ben . He was one of only two UK tribute artists I found interesting and promising enough to spend money on a ticket, transport, and accommodation (it's too difficult to travel back home with public transport at night). Now that I have seen three different Michael Jackson tribute artists in person, I would like to write about what they have in common, what made each of them stand out, and then answer the question: Is there really a number one? Did one of the two UK tributes manage to do something Kenny did not do? If you have read my old writings about Kenny, you know that he's very special (at least to me). I will have a look at their looks, their energy during the performance, the song selection, the costumes, the singing (or lack of it), the moves, the band & the dancers, the overall feel of the concert, and the meet & greet after the shows. In

Seeking and finding motivation - It needs to come from within

I have known for a long time that motivation is something that needs to come from within yourself. At least genuine motivation needs to come from within your own soul - it is the only kind of motivation that will last. Even though I have known this, I found (and still find) it very hard to keep myself motivated, to keep the spark within alive, to not let the world and the people in it kill my dreams. As a writer, I also read a lot. Most books are dedicated to other people, or have some sort of acknowledgment page where authors thank people who support them, people who keep them going, people who motivate them, and so on. For a very long time, I have wished I would have people I could use for these pages. I was wondering whom I would dedicate my books to, whom I would thank. But I could only ever think of fictional and/or famous characters. In real life, there is nobody who supports me with my writing and shows a genuine interest in my ideas or progress (of which there isn't that

Why work harder when there's no reward at all?

I am rather demotivated at the moment. Why work harder than other people if other people in the end get more for less work? Two volunteers who work a lot less than I do (also as a volunteer) get taken to see a castle this weekend, while I have to work. One of those two is being taken to the second castle. He's been taken on a day trip before. While I have been here since November and haven't been taken anywhere once. Usually, volunteers work five hours a day. But because I am really committed to the animals, I usually work six hours, often seven or eight (as a volunteer, so it's not like I get any money for extra hours). So I work more, but get less in return. How is that fair? It's just my life. I often put in so much effort into things, but get nothing in return. I feel like giving up. Why be reliable and hard working if it's just taken for granted? Why put in more effort when people who slack get all the rewards and extra attention?