Skip to main content

Valentine's Day - What about the broken-hearted, the lonely, and the rebels?

 Valentine's Day - it's like Christmas, Easter, and other "holidays": you simply can't escape it. Even bookshops that are usually a place of retreat for me do not know any mercy. Heart-shaped items and lots of red and pink decorations declaring that it's Valentine's Day soon, and that you need to buy something for the love of your life, are everywhere. The day - and also Christmas - makes me wonder why people need a special occasion to show their love (if something like love actually exists). 

If you really cared about someone, shouldn't you show them more often than just once a year? Wouldn't it be nicer if you surprised them with something lovely on a day they do not expect it? But I guess, there is a lot of pressure on couples to be a couple on Valentine's Day. And I also guess many women would not forgive it easily if their partner didn't do something special for them on Valentine's Day. It's just something I don't understand, it seems like such a materialistic "holiday". It's all about presents, like a mini-version of Christmas, just excluding the family this time, and just focusing on lovers. 

And Valentine's Day usually makes a whole lot of people feel quite uncomfortable. I know, I am included in that group. Even though I don't think much about forced displays of love on holidays, I can't help but feeling a bit down when holidays like that are around. Society has a way of making people like me feel like we are the lowest people on society's ladder.
I know very well that there is no love in my life. Christmas and all the commercial blah blah around it already reminded me, thank you very much. My birthday also reminded me. People like me just don't need something like Valentine's day to make us feel even worse. And we don't need all those happy couples look at us as if we're aliens or even worse - look at us with such pity in their eyes. Yes, I know there is no love in my life. I also know there most likely won't ever be any (because I have the fantastic talent to love people who don't return the love - so I try to not even start with feelings like that). But do I always need to be reminded of it by outside forces? No. 

Why is there always such a focus on holidays like these? Is it because single people, broken-hearted people, and people who simply don't care about love aren't interesting for companies? If companies really wanted, they could most likely commercialize singleness, too. Maybe sell life-sized teddy bears..... 

How do you deal with Valentine's Day? And if you are in a relationship: Do you really think just showing your love on one day a year is enough?









Comments

  1. I feel for you. I know it's not easy. Take it from someone who's been single all her life. Valentine's Day is easily my least favorite holiday, but I try to view it as an occasion to express my love and appreciation for family and friends. Or I just ignore it altogether.

    It's largely by choice, my lifelong singleness. I have experienced feelings one might call "love" once in my life (I was 11), though I guess I'd be more apt to call feelings at such an age "infatuation." After that, I just decided I wasn't going to settle for the first guy who came along. Self-respect and possibly a bit of pride facilitated that, and I've never regretted not throwing myself before whichever male might have me.

    I honestly think we intellectual women have to wait a bit longer for the men our age to mature to a similar level, where attraction is no longer based mostly in looks and "feminine wiles" and becomes more about compatibility. In the meantime, just focus on what interests you, and continue to develop yourself. You are a very special, talented person, and if there is someone out there who deserves you, they're worth waiting for.

    In the interim, it's just a matter of surviving all the annoying holidays that punish singles. :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I also like your attitude, and I know how hard it can be to stick to that - people around you start talking if you stay single (I know that from experience, too), and make up the strangest rumours about you.

      Stick to your conviction. Men are not worth throwing all your ideals over board - and the right one will not ever even think about asking you to do so. I hope you will find someone, because you are the ideal package. The guy who'll win your heart will be such a lucky man!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kenny Wizz vs Navi vs Ben - Can there be only one #1 Michael Jackson tribute artist?

Last night, I have been to a place called Stevenage to watch a Michael Jackson tribute artist called Ben . He was one of only two UK tribute artists I found interesting and promising enough to spend money on a ticket, transport, and accommodation (it's too difficult to travel back home with public transport at night). Now that I have seen three different Michael Jackson tribute artists in person, I would like to write about what they have in common, what made each of them stand out, and then answer the question: Is there really a number one? Did one of the two UK tributes manage to do something Kenny did not do? If you have read my old writings about Kenny, you know that he's very special (at least to me). I will have a look at their looks, their energy during the performance, the song selection, the costumes, the singing (or lack of it), the moves, the band & the dancers, the overall feel of the concert, and the meet & greet after the shows. In

Seeking and finding motivation - It needs to come from within

I have known for a long time that motivation is something that needs to come from within yourself. At least genuine motivation needs to come from within your own soul - it is the only kind of motivation that will last. Even though I have known this, I found (and still find) it very hard to keep myself motivated, to keep the spark within alive, to not let the world and the people in it kill my dreams. As a writer, I also read a lot. Most books are dedicated to other people, or have some sort of acknowledgment page where authors thank people who support them, people who keep them going, people who motivate them, and so on. For a very long time, I have wished I would have people I could use for these pages. I was wondering whom I would dedicate my books to, whom I would thank. But I could only ever think of fictional and/or famous characters. In real life, there is nobody who supports me with my writing and shows a genuine interest in my ideas or progress (of which there isn't that

Why work harder when there's no reward at all?

I am rather demotivated at the moment. Why work harder than other people if other people in the end get more for less work? Two volunteers who work a lot less than I do (also as a volunteer) get taken to see a castle this weekend, while I have to work. One of those two is being taken to the second castle. He's been taken on a day trip before. While I have been here since November and haven't been taken anywhere once. Usually, volunteers work five hours a day. But because I am really committed to the animals, I usually work six hours, often seven or eight (as a volunteer, so it's not like I get any money for extra hours). So I work more, but get less in return. How is that fair? It's just my life. I often put in so much effort into things, but get nothing in return. I feel like giving up. Why be reliable and hard working if it's just taken for granted? Why put in more effort when people who slack get all the rewards and extra attention?