Skip to main content

Black out the sun




Yesterday, the first moor hen chicks appeared around the pond, and the ducklings will most likely not be far away either. The world around me is filled with new life. The flower bulbs I planted also break through the soil, the trees have leaves again, and many are in bloom right now. The sun has been shining for a few days in a row - and yet, the beauty around me is tainted by a few negative things. It is a bitter-sweet time of endings and new beginnings, though I am not so sure yet what those new beginnings will be.

Someone who means a lot to me, but to whom I mean virtually nothing, will soon leave - and while the whole story is quite depressing and sad, this stubborn man has taught me some very important lessons in honesty, people, and how much better it is to keep your distance. In the last few months, I had gradually put some doors and windows in the walls that protect my soul and heart, and I regret it. It is a weakness to become attached to other people, especially when your thinking self already knows that you'll just end up hurt, even if the other people don't have malicious intentions. Sometimes it is just that they do not care, and that you care too much even if you have only ever talked to someone a few times. And yet, seeing that one person leave, and having been disrespected by him in the last couple of days, hurts. Even though other people told me right from the start that he was not the best person to be around, and they could not understand that I wanted to try and be his friend.

My experiences with people in recent times just taught me that it is wrong for me to even try. I took on some extra work here, an additional day - even though I thought I would focus on my own writing from now on. I also took on some other writing jobs as they will keep me busy. At the moment, I don't know whether I want to continue with my novel. Maybe I will start a novella, something shorter, something with a completely different topic because I don't feel like tackling the big novel at the moment, especially because I don't want to deal with many of the topics in it. The novella I could just use as an outlet for some of the things that go through my head - but definitely it will not be published under my own name. Because if my books ever become popular, then I don't want people to connect me to them - I don't want people to turn up in my life just because I'm a writer.

Comments

  1. A few years ago, when the trainer handed over to me the test results of the personality development course, she asked me: "When did you lose your trust in people?". She was referring to my learned introversion, being stronger, than my natural one. I didn't answer, and I still don't know the answer. It probably came gradually, slowly burnt into me, that I am different. I want different things, in different ways, than most people. Although everyone has responsibility in achieving their own freedom, but this is a very strange world we live in, I see no free people around me, and people who are not free, can not be trusted.
    Yet it is such a paradox. Our values, our character traits are important, because this is how we may be a treasure to others, but for us, the real treasures are our people. This came to my mind reading your sentence "you care too much even if". There is so much yearning in us for connection, real deep one, it's hard to express. This is what is worth living for. This joy is there in our connection to nature, but still the top is our relationship with people. And it is there inside us, but seems impossible to make it work, the way we imagine....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you are talking about - i.e. about wanting different things, wanting to do things differently, wanting deeper, more meaningful connections. It is good to know that there are a few people out there who understand - I just wish I would meet someone in real life who would understand.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kenny Wizz vs Navi vs Ben - Can there be only one #1 Michael Jackson tribute artist?

Last night, I have been to a place called Stevenage to watch a Michael Jackson tribute artist called Ben . He was one of only two UK tribute artists I found interesting and promising enough to spend money on a ticket, transport, and accommodation (it's too difficult to travel back home with public transport at night). Now that I have seen three different Michael Jackson tribute artists in person, I would like to write about what they have in common, what made each of them stand out, and then answer the question: Is there really a number one? Did one of the two UK tributes manage to do something Kenny did not do? If you have read my old writings about Kenny, you know that he's very special (at least to me). I will have a look at their looks, their energy during the performance, the song selection, the costumes, the singing (or lack of it), the moves, the band & the dancers, the overall feel of the concert, and the meet & greet after the shows. In

Seeking and finding motivation - It needs to come from within

I have known for a long time that motivation is something that needs to come from within yourself. At least genuine motivation needs to come from within your own soul - it is the only kind of motivation that will last. Even though I have known this, I found (and still find) it very hard to keep myself motivated, to keep the spark within alive, to not let the world and the people in it kill my dreams. As a writer, I also read a lot. Most books are dedicated to other people, or have some sort of acknowledgment page where authors thank people who support them, people who keep them going, people who motivate them, and so on. For a very long time, I have wished I would have people I could use for these pages. I was wondering whom I would dedicate my books to, whom I would thank. But I could only ever think of fictional and/or famous characters. In real life, there is nobody who supports me with my writing and shows a genuine interest in my ideas or progress (of which there isn't that

Why work harder when there's no reward at all?

I am rather demotivated at the moment. Why work harder than other people if other people in the end get more for less work? Two volunteers who work a lot less than I do (also as a volunteer) get taken to see a castle this weekend, while I have to work. One of those two is being taken to the second castle. He's been taken on a day trip before. While I have been here since November and haven't been taken anywhere once. Usually, volunteers work five hours a day. But because I am really committed to the animals, I usually work six hours, often seven or eight (as a volunteer, so it's not like I get any money for extra hours). So I work more, but get less in return. How is that fair? It's just my life. I often put in so much effort into things, but get nothing in return. I feel like giving up. Why be reliable and hard working if it's just taken for granted? Why put in more effort when people who slack get all the rewards and extra attention?